Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Sad, Angry & Disturbed

As I was flipping through the channels last night I came across the Oprah show, which is usually a rerun of the afternoon show. I don't normally watch this show, but something about the audience's faces made me wonder what the topic was about. I saw faces of horror and disgust...sadness. I watched for the next five minutes and then instead of going back to my regular show I turned off the TV, went up bed and read my scriptures. I felt like I was going to explode with this flood of emotion. I couldn't stop crying and I had to keep praying to help me sleep through the night. Maybe this hit me harder because of my past, but I think anyone would be affected by what was discussed. The topic was Child Predators: Take action now. This is of course nothing new to be heard, but the part I saw was unbelievable to say the least. I won't go into too much detail, but I guess there are kits people can buy online to start this disgusting cycle. The kit gives in detail how to start with infants and go on up in age. It comes with a camera, but says video is better and then of course they post it online. What they do to these infants is terrible, and I hope no one takes offense to this post. If you want to check out more you can go to her website http://www.oprah.com/index. After seeing just the five minutes it really made me think of what I watch on TV and how desensitizing it could be making me and anyone else watching those shows. What do you think? Not a great topic, I know, but I'm curious to know your feelings on the matter. All I can say is be careful what your kids are doing (watching on tv and online) and be weary of whose house they go to. All of you are AMAZING parents, and I am glad to be associated with good people who have high standards and morals. God Bless!

7 comments:

Kristen said...

That is downright disgusting to think people would support and make this readily available to abuse children of all ages. I'm sure Oprah wanted to inform us, but I'm afraid at the same time she informed the wrong people and gave ideas of how to do this awful crime.

Unknown said...

Oh Sarah, my heart goes out to you.

It's true what it says in the scriptures about the punishement reserved for someone who harms a little one. This world is indeed full of wicked and evil people---and they walk among us.

Hang in there sweetie.

Colleen said...

Ug. It makes my heart lurch and my stomach turn. That is one of those things that is so horrible, it is easy to try to forget about it. It is hard to read, but always good to be reminded to be vigilant. Thanks for the warning.

curly girl said...

I'm gonna trust you and not go check it out on Oprah myself. I am paranoid enough as it is. I can't imagine the horror kids go through, or the absolute horror that their parents must feel. Prayers for all of them, and damnation for those who harm them, I say!

Paige said...

I saw a bit of the show but it was some girls talking and I didn't wait to hear more of what they were talking about because it sounded too upsetting and I guess I was right.

I'm sorry you had such a hard night thinking about it. I'm worried about those things happening to my kids too but I strongly believe that there is a balance between good and evil and for all the evil out there the good is also growing and that gives me comfort. Not that I'm going to get complacent about the wicked things but I do take comfort in the strength of the righteous.

Kedra Simpson said...

I, like you, hardly watch Oprah but for some reason that day I watched and I have been sick to my stomach ever since. I talked to a good friend about the episode because she missed it and we both couldn't believe what was discussed on the show. The things that we have to worry about with our little ones. My heart goes out to you and all others!!! It makes me want to keep my unborn in my stomach for a long time.

kelly said...

i'm still haunted by a news progam i watched 20 years ago on this kind of subject. i know it's good to be informed, but do we really need those images forever in our minds? i can't even watch the news because it makes me sick.
i'm sorry.