Thursday, June 11, 2009

Good-Bye

As many of you know, we lost an important member of our family Wednesday night. Chewie has been with us for eight years and has literally been the best dog imaginable! He's always been loving and tender with the girls. He was always there when we needed him and he knew just the right moment to come lick our faces or to just snuggle. A week ago he started having some problems with anemia and a low blood platelet count. The vet put him on steroids and sent him home. Wednesday he wouldn't eat, drink and he could hardly move. Brett took him to the vet to see what was wrong. After some x-rays we found out he had cancer on his liver, spleen, stomach and intestines. The surgery would only give us a few months to a year and the quality of life would not be good. We made the hardest decision possible. We had to put him down. We brought him home for one last night of snuggles and love. After snapping a few photos we realized he probably wouldn't make it through the night. He was breathing so hard and wasn't able to stand. HE got worse so fast, our hearts were hurting for him. We took him in that night while the kids went to bed. Five seconds after the doctor injected him, he was gone. He was surely ready to go and I know he is doing awesome now, I just miss him more than anything! Here's the photos of Wednesday night, the poor guy! We love you for always Chewie! good-bye

14 comments:

Silivrenwolf said...

Love the 1st photo... put me to tears! I wish so much I would have known I would have taken so many photos!! I feel so bad about that.

Colleen said...

I am so sorry Sarah! I know Chewie was more than just a dog, but also a family member for you guys.

Jen said...

Sarah,
I am so sorry for you. I am totally crying now. Chewie was a special dog and it is never easy to watch those we love suffer. What great parents you were. I love the pictures, so sweet.

Anna Lynne said...

I was so sad to hear about your wonderful Dog. Those pictures are priceless. It is hard to lose a family member and He was a true member of your family. Our hearts go out to you.

mindy said...

I am so sorry to hear about Chewie. I believe that not only will we be reunited with human family members but the animals we cared for as well. You will have that to look forward to. It sounds like you will always have many happy memories of your beloved pet.

Chalonn said...

I'm sorry! That is so sad!!!

Barlow Family said...

I'm so sorry Sarah! That is so sad! I am thinking of you and your family.

Aimee Oliver said...

What a perfect tribute to Chewie! Thinking of you!

Aunna said...

I'm glad that you were able to say goodbye. It was a great idea to take so many pictures! They're beautiful. Let us know if you need anything. We'll be thinking of you.

Unknown said...

Oh Sarah...I'm in tears....

Kedra Simpson said...

This post totally made me cry!! So sad but glad he is no longer in pain!! You're in our thoughts.

kelly said...

sarah, these pictures are heartbreaking.
i'm so sorry.

Kristen said...

I'm so sorry about your loss. Chewie was a great dog. He will be missed. The pictures are priceless. I hope you are doing well.

Torrie said...

that made me cry!
i am sooo sorry for you-i know you loved him tons! call if you just want to cry.
the loss of a loved pet is always hard.
it was good of you to not make him suffer.
lots of love and thinking of you.